This information is intended for Summer 2015 applicants!
The Ontario/Rhône-Alpes Student Exchange Program offers scholarships to Ontario students from participating universities who are selected by the ORA Program to participate in a Summer Language Program at St. Etienne University (CILEC) or Grenoble 3 University (CUEF).
The Summer Language Program is a four-week program in which students from around the world study French and learn about the French culture. It offers a unique, excellent, and highly enjoyable learning experience in the classroom, as in its excursions to places of interest in the region and its extracurricular program.
Successful applicants will receive a scholarship in the amount of $1,000 to help cover expenses during the course (see below for explanations). These scholarships are from funds provided by the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities.
There is no French-language prerequisite for successful participation in the Summer Language Program. Classes are offered at various levels, including beginners’ level. Students are assigned to classes following a placement test. Students from Ontario universities may apply who intend either:
- to participate in the Summer Language Program as a stand-alone experience and then return to their studies in Ontario ; or
- to participate in the Summer Language Program in preparation for a longer stay in Rhône-Alpes as a student in the “regular” ORA student exchange. Please note that students who are finishing a longer period of exchange study in Rhône-Alpes or elsewhere are ineligible to apply.
Students who wish to have the credits transferred to their academic record in Ontario should seek advice from their home university’s International Student Exchange Office and/or their academic counselors. Credit transfer is at the sole discretion of each student’s home university. The CILEC and CUEF will be giving a transcript for the equivalent of 12 ECTS which represents a full year course in an Ontario University.
To be eligible, an applicant must:
- be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada;
- be pursuing a degree at a member university in the ORA consortium (Brock,Carleton, Guelph, Lakehead, Laurentian, Nipissing, Ottawa, Queen’s, Ryerson, Trent, Waterloo, Western Ontario, Windsor, York);
- be registered at that university in the academic year preceding participation in the Summer Language Program; and
- be continuing in the same academic program in the academic year following participation.
To apply, you must:
- complete and sign the ORA Summer Language Program application form
- write an explanation of your reasons for wishing to participate in this program (max. 1 page, double-spaced);
- consult with your home university’s International Student Exchange Office for additional application procedures and deadlines; and
- submit your application to your International Student Exchange Office.
Important: You must apply through your home university. Please do NOT submit your own application directly to the ORA office.