FAQ Student Exchange Program

(French version of FAQs follows)

The Exchange Program is administered collegially. In Ontario there is a Program office (presently at York University) selected by the participating universities. Each university has representation on the Ontario Program Committee, and a liaison person responsible for the program. In Rhône-Alpes, the structure is very similar. There is a program office selected by the participating universities presently run by the International office at Université de Lyon 2, Louis Lumière. Each institution has representation on the Rhône-Alpes Program Committee.

1- How Many Spaces Are There?

There are sixty five (65) spaces for all of Ontario, with twelve participating universities or Grandes Écoles* in Rhône-Alpes.

There is no set number of spaces for each Ontario University.

* Highly selective and prestigious post secondary institutions, where students are admitted after two years of intense preparation once they have finished high school. You should know that 1st year is equivalent to 3rd year university, and so on. Usually they offer three-year programs.

2- Who Can Apply?

Graduate and undergraduate students enrolled in the following 14 universities in every field of studies, except dentistry and medicine, are eligible to apply:

Brock, Carleton, Guelph, Lakehead, Laurentian, Nipissing, Ottawa, Queen’s, Ryerson, Trent, Waterloo, Western, Windsor and York (including Glendon).

To be eligible to the program, you have to be in at least second year of an undergraduate program, in good standing, with an average of B to B+. See question 3 for knowledge of French.

3- How Much French Do I Need?

Because 95% of the courses are in French, you need to be able to function in French. English speakers who went to an immersion program or have the equivalent of two years of university French will have no problem. But you can study on the ORA program with less than two years. You can, if you wish, take a summer course prior to the beginning of classes, which might even be credited in Ontario (ask your home university). All RA Universities offer a French course before school starts, (in some cases free of charge), that can vary from one week to four weeks. Besides, you can enroll in French as a foreign language (FLE) courses during your school year free of charge. ORA also offers a Summer Language Program.

Please Note: This program is NOT a French Immersion Summer Program, and is NOT restricted to French majors.

4- Where is Rhône-Alpes or, in short, RA?

On the map (see link), RA is the one that borders both Italy and Switzerland.


It is the second most important region of France after Paris and its region. Its capital city is Lyon. Rhône-Alpes is the birth place of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (The Little Prince), the Lumière Brothers (who invented cinema), philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau, and many others. RA is also the land of Beaujolais wine, many ski resorts, Mont-Blanc, the home of Sanofi Pasteur, Canon France, and many other worldwide known landmarks.

Paris is less than 2 hours from Lyon by TGV (fast train), and 3 hours from Chambéry, Grenoble, and Saint-Étienne.

5- Where Can I Study?

There are six (6) universities in five (5) cities:


Claude Bernard (Lyon 1) - Science, geography, technology and engineering
Louis Lumière (Lyon 2) - Law, business, political science, social science and some arts
Jean Moulin (Lyon 3)- Law, business, political science, social science and some arts


Université Grenoble Alpes -Science, geography, technology and engineering- Law, business, political science, social science and some arts- Arts and social science

St. Etienne

Jean Monnet (St. Etienne) -offer courses across the board

Chambéry and Annecy

Université de Savoie (Chambéry and Annecy) -Offer courses across the board

And five (4) Grandes Écoles:

INP in Grenoble (engineering);

Three in Lyon: École Centrale (engineering); ENS (arts/ humanities/mathematics and science), and INSA (applied science).

All have excellent reputations and truly first-class working relationships with universities in Ontario. When you apply, you indicate your top two choices; if you are accepted we guarantee that you will be placed at one of these institutions. And we are more than happy to advise you on which university best suits your needs.

All TEN are state-funded public institutions.

6- How Much Does It Cost you?

Tuition fees are paid to your home university in Ontario.

Travel costs to your host university in France and back (probably around $1200.00)

Living expenses in France: a minimum of $1200.00 per month

In France you have the possibility of working full-time during holidays and part-time while studying.

Be aware of the exchange rate as it fluctuates.

Scholarships: The ORA program administers scholarships (no special application needed) for all Ontario participants, using funds provided by the Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities ($1600 for one semester and $2500 for full-year participation). OSAP, OSG, or SSHRC support, as well as many university-based scholarships, may be applied to your exchange year. Feel free to discuss this with us. Also, all Ontario universities offer scholarships and/or bursaries for study abroad: check with your home university’s International Office and with your academic advisor

In France post-secondary education is highly subsidized by the French government, even for international students: a full meal on campus is about $5.00, course kits are free of charge, a portion (about 30%) of your rent will be refunded if you fill out the necessary forms. These are only examples of the many discounts you will be entitled to.

7- How Long Will I Be Away?

Although we accept students for one semester we strongly recommend that undergraduates apply for a full academic year.

The school year is split into two semesters. In most universities September to end of January for Fall semester and February to end of May for second semester. June can be exam month.

Some schools start early September, others towards the end of September. It depends on your field of studies. Science and engineering universities tend to be the first to start. However, there are orientation sessions for international students and information sessions on courses prior to the beginning of classes that you must not miss. Also, if you decide to rent an apartment, keep in mind that the earlier you arrive, the better. Exams can end late May or some time in June, so to be on the safe side, you should plan on staying until the end of June.

8- Where Will I live?

You can choose to live in a student residence or a self-contained apartment or to share an apartment with other students.

9- What Are the Advantages of Participating?

Study abroad

Get credits towards your Ontario degree but do not receive a French degree

Enhance your marketability with international experience and skills

Have an incredibly fun time doing it.

10- Where Can I Get More Information?

Visit our web site http://ora.ouinternational.ca, especially read the Handbook for participants from Ontario updated every year.

Your university’s International Office.

Rhône-Alpes students presently at your university.

Students from your university who participated in the Exchange in previous years or are participating this year.

Contact us



Le programme d'échange est administré de façon collégiale. En Ontario le bureau est actuellement à l'Université York. Chaque université siège au Comité du programme ORA et nomme un/e responsable. En Rhône-Alpes, la structure est très semblable. Il y a un bureau du programme choisi par les universités participantes actuellement géré par le bureau des relations Internationales de l’Université Louis Lumière, Lyon 2. Chaque établissement siège au Comité du programme ORA.

1- Combien de places y a-t-il ?

Il y a soixante cinq (65) places pour tout l'Ontario, avec douze universités ou Grandes Écoles * participantes en Rhône-Alpes. Il n'y a pas de nombre pré-établi de places pour chaque université de l'Ontario.

* Établissements fortement sélectifs et prestigieux, où les étudiants sont admis après deux ans de préparation intense une fois qu’ils ont fini le lycée. Sachez que la 1ère année est équivalente à la 3ème’ d’université. Leurs programmes sont généralement de trois ans.

2- Qui peut faire une demande ?

Les étudiants « graduate et undergraduate » inscrits dans les 15 universités suivantes dans toutes les filières, sauf dentaire et médecine, peuvent faire une demande : Brock,Carleton, Guelph, Lakehead, Laurentian, Nipissing, Ottawa, Queen’s, Ryerson, Trent, Waterloo, Western, Windsor et York (y compris Glendon). Pour être éligible, vous devez être au moins en deuxième année, avec une moyenne de B à B+ et avoir une certaine connaissance de la langue française au moment où vous partez.

3- Quel niveau de français dois-je avoir ?

95% des cours sont en français, donc vous devez être capable d’étudier en français.

Le Programme ORA n'est pas un programme d’été de français langue seconde. Il n’est pas non plus réservé aux spécialistes de français.

4- Où se trouve Rhône-Alpes (en abrégé RA) ?

C’est la deuxième région de France après Paris et la région parisienne. Sa capitale est Lyon. Sur la carte (voir lien ci-dessous), Rhône-Alpes est la région qui a une frontière commune avec l’Italie et la Suisse.


Rhône-Alpes est le lieu de naissance d'Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Le Petit Prince), des frères Lumière (inventeurs du cinéma), du philosophe Jean-Jacques Rousseau et bien d'autres encore. RA est également la région du Beaujolais, de beaucoup de stations de sports d'hiver, du Mont-Blanc, de Sanofi Pasteur, Canon France entre autres. Paris est à moins de 2 heures de Lyon par TGV (train rapide), et à 3 heures de Chambéry, Grenoble et Saint-Étienne.

5- Où puis-je étudier ?

Il y a six (6) universités dans cinq villes (plus quelques filières dans d’autres villes) :

Lyon :

Claude Bernard (Lyon 1) - Science/géographie/technologie et génie
Louis Lumière (Lyon 2) -Commerce, sciences politiques, sciences sociales et quelques filières en lettres
Jean Moulin (Lyon 3)- Commerce, sciences politiques, sciences sociales et quelques filières en lettres

Grenoble :

Université Grenoble Alpes- Science/géographie/technologie et génie -Commerce, sciences politiques, sciences sociales et quelques filières en lettre-Lettres et sciences sociales

Saint-Étienne :

Jean Monnet - Toutes les filières

Chambéry et Annecy

Savoie -Chambéry, toutes les filières - Annecy, Science, géographie, technologie et génie

Et quatre (4) Grandes Écoles :

INPG à Grenoble (École d’ingénieurs) ;

Trois à Lyon : École Centrale (École d’ingénieurs) ; ENS (Lettres/ Sciences humaines/mathématiques et sciences pures) et INSA (sciences appliquées).

Toutes ont une excellente réputation et entretiennent d’excellents rapports avec les universités ontariennes. Dans votre demande vous indiquez vos deux choix; si vous êtes accepté(e) nous vous garantissons que vous serez placé(e) dans un de ces deux établissements. Et nous sommes à votre disposition pour vous conseiller dans vos choix selon vos besoins.

Les dix établissements sont publics.

6- Combien ça coûte ?

Les frais d’inscription sont payés uniquement à votre université en Ontario.

Bourses : Le programme ORA gère les bourses ontariennes (il n'est pas nécessaire de remplir un formulaire spécifique) en utilisant les fonds reçus du Ministère de la Formation et des Collèges et Universités ($1600 pour un semestre et $2500 pour 2 semestres). Les bourses OSAP, OSG, ou SSHRC ainsi que celles offertes par votre université d'attache peuvent être utilisées pour déffrayer des frais pendant votre échange. N'hésitez surtout pas à nous contacter si vous avez besoin de plus de renseignements. N'oubliez pas de vérifier toutes les offres possibles de bourses disponibles pour la mobilité d'étudiants. Un conseiller académique du bureau International de votre université pourra vous renseigner à ce sujet.

Le voyage aller / retour coûte environ $1200.00

Pour vivre en France comptez un minimum de $1200.00 par mois, pour neuf ou dix mois environ

Vous pouvez travailler à temps plein en France pendant les vacances et à temps partiel pendant l’année universitaire

En France l'éducation post-secondaire est fortement subventionnée par le gouvernement français, même pour les étudiants internationaux : un repas complet sur le campus coûte environ $5.00 ; les polycopiés sont gratuits ; une partie (environ 30%) de votre loyer sera remboursée si vous remplissez les formulaires nécessaires. Ce ne sont que quelques exemples des nombreux avantages auxquels vous aurez droit.

7- Combien de temps vais-je rester en France ?

Bien que nous acceptions les étudiants pour un semestre, nous recommandons vivement aux étudiants undergraduate de partir pour l’année universitaire. L'année scolaire est divisée en deux semestres. Dans la plupart des universités, de sept./oct. à fin janvier pour le premier semestre et de fév. à fin mai pour le deuxième semestre. Quelques établissements rentrent début septembre, d'autres fin septembre ou début octobre. Cela dépend de votre filière. Les universités scientifiques et les écoles d’ingénieurs rentrent les premières. Il y a des sessions d'intégration pour les étudiants internationaux et des sessions d'information de pré-rentrée sur les cours à ne pas manquer. En outre, si vous décidez de louer un appartement, n’oubliez pas qu’il vaut mieux arriver tôt. Les examens peuvent finir fin mai ou en juin. Ainsi pour être sûr d’avoir tout fini, comptez rester jusqu’en juin, ce qui veut dire neuf ou dix mois hors du Canada.

8- Où vais-je vivre ?

Vous pouvez choisir de vivre en résidence ou en appartement privé ou de partager un appartement avec d'autres étudiants (co-location).

9- Quels sont les avantages de partir étudier en RA ?

Vous validez vos cours au retour en obtenant vos crédits dans votre université en Ontario mais vous ne recevez pas de diplôme français ;

Vous ajoutez de la valeur à votre diplôme grâce à une expérience et des qualifications internationales,

Vous passez une année exceptionnelle.

10- Où puis-je obtenir plus de renseignements ?

Visitez notre site Web http://ora.ouinternational.ca. Lisez tout particulièrement le Guide pour les participants de l'Ontario (Handbook) mis à jour chaque année

Le bureau des Relations Internationales de votre université

Les étudiants de Rhône-Alpes actuellement dans votre université

Les étudiants de votre université qui ont participé à l'échange dans le passé ou qui y participent cette année

Et enfin n’hésitez pas à nous contacter.